It was a large presbytery, and there is a sizable garden behind the wall in the foreground.
St Augustine's was one of several large Catholic Churches built in the central area of Preston in the nineteenth century. The foundation stone of this classically designed church was laid in 1838, and it remained in use until 1984, when dry rot was discovered.
By this time, much of Preston's population had moved to new housing estates in the suburbs, with the result that the central churches were heavily underused. The discovery of dry rot was given as the reason for the immediate closure of the church, although it remained standing until 2004, when it was demolished, although its classical facade and the presbytery were preserved. The site of the church is now part of Newman College, into which the classical facade has been incorporated. The presbytery remained in occupation until 2015.
|Facade grafted to Newman College|
It is now to have a new life as the home of the Sister Adorers of the Royal Heart of Jesus. They are a non-cloistered order of contemplative nuns who will give support to the two churches in Preston served by the Institute of Christ the King.
|Some of the Sisters with Mgr Wach|