St Wilfrid's Church in York, the York Oratory, has a peal of 10 bells that are expertly rung by St Wilfrid's Bellringers before Masses on Sundays, Feast Days and on special occasions. Although the Church of St Wilfrid was opened in 1864, the bells were not installed in the tower until 1995.
Recently, an additional bell has been installed in the tower and it was blessed by Bishop Byrne. The new bell has been given the name "John Henry", but it formerly belonged to Trinity House, and was used to warn shipping of dangerous rocks in the English Channel.
John Henry will sound the Angelus daily at noon and 6pm. Unlike the main peal, it will be operated remotely by the press of a button.
John Henry being blessed by Bishop Byrne
Meanwhile, the bell at Shrewsbury Cathedral, originally cast in 1856, but silent for the past 50 years, is being brought back into use. It too, will be operated remotely at the press of a button.