The purpose of this blog is to provide an open forum for discussion of the aims of the society; news from the wider Church and details of Masses and events of interest in the diocese. The Latin Mass Society in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Middlesbrough expresses its full filial devotion and loyalty to Holy Mother Church, Pope Francis and Bishop Drainey.


12 Noon. Every Sunday Missa Cantata
York Oratory (
Church of St Wilfrid)
Duncombe Place, York. YO1 7EF

8:15am Monday-Friday
9:15am Saturday

Feast Days (as advertised) usually at 6pm.

Church of St Andrew, Fabian Road, Teesville. TS6 9BA

3pm Sunday.

Church of Our Lady of Lourdes and St Peter Chanel
119 Cottingham Road, Hull. HU5 2DH
7.30pm Every Thursday. Low Mass.


4pm. Every Sunday
York Oratory (
Church of St Wilfrid)
Duncombe Place, York. YO1 7EF

Compline and Vespers (as advertised)
(see link to the Rudgate Singers Calendar below)
St Mary's Church, Bishophill Junior. YO1 6EN

31 August 2011

Walsingham Pilgrimage

I have recently returned from the walking pilgrimage from Ely to Walsingham, a distance of 55 miles, and it was a great experience. I should add that I only walked the final mile. My role was driving a support vehicle, which carried some of the baggage and was available to pick up anyone who could walk no further.

Over 30 young and not so young people walked the whole distance over three days. They prayed the rosary and sang hymns much of the time, and there were opportunities for confessions to be heard by Fr Rowe along the way.

It was a great occasion and even the rather wet, and sometimes stormy, weather did not dampen the spirits of the pilgrims. There was a sung Mass each day. On the Friday it was at 6am in the church of St Etheldreda before setting off from Ely, and on the Saturday, it was in in the chapel of Oxborough Hall. The Sunday Mass was at the shrine in Walsingham, and the walking pilgrims were joined by others who had travelled there by coach or car.

For me the high point was walking the Holy Mile into the village of Little Walsingham. Many, but not me, did this bearfoot. We carried a processional cross, and sang the Rosary and a Litany as we walked. The musical setting of the Ave Maria was new to me, and is apparently the one used on the Paris to Chartres pilgrimage. I found it very attractive and suitable for the occasion. People certainly joined in well.

The procession took us to the grounds of the former abbey which is the site of the original shrine.

Plans are now being made for next year, when we expect to have a bigger and better pilgrimage.

29 August 2011

Rudgate Singers: Services for September

These may be of interest.

Sunday 04/09 6:30pm - St Mary's Bishophill Junior, York
Vespers for the 12th Sunday after Pentecost

Saturday 10/09. 12:00pm Brinkburn Priory, Northumberland.
The Annual Solemn High Mass
Saturday 10/09: 9:00pm - St Mary's Bishophill Junior, York
Compline by Candlelight

Sunday 11/09. 6:30pm - St Mary's Bishophill Junior
Vespers for the 13th Sunday after Pentecost

Saturday 24/09. 9:00pm - St Mary's Bishophill Junior
Compline by Candlelight

Sunday 25/09. 6:30pm - St Mary's Bishophill Junior
Vespers for the 15th Sunday after Pentecost

Note: NO Chant SERVICES the weekend of 17/18th September in York, as I shall be down in Oxford singing for the Ordination to the Sacred Priesthood of fr. Lawrence Lew OP.

24 August 2011

World Youth Day and the BBC

Much has been written on various blogs about the coverage of World Youth Day by the BBC. All seem to agree that it was abyssmal.

I estimate that 95% of the coverage was about the relatively small demonstration by illinformed people protersing at the visit. Of the remaining 5%, much of it was devoted to a freak gust of wind that blew off Pope Benedict's skull cap.

If, like me you think that the coverage was outrageously biassed, then I would urge you to make a formal complaint. It is very easily done on line at:

Whilst at it, please encourage others to do the same.

19 August 2011

The Restoration of Catholic Practices

Fr Ray Blake has a post on his blog about the external marks by which Catholics were, at one time, easily recognised. The implication is that nowadays most of these practices are rarely seen.

Here is a list, mostly taken from Fr Blake's blog:

Friday abstinence,
Fast days,
Corpus Christi and Marian Processions,
The religious life,
Kneeling in church,
Reception of Holy Communion on the tongue,
Unlocked churches,
Plain chant,
The Rosary,
The Angelus,
Holy water,
Crucifixes in the home,
Blessing oneself with holy water when entering a church,
Making the sign of the cross when passing a church.

What prompted this discussion was the welcome proposal of the bishops of England and Wales to re-introduce Friday abstinence. The list suggests plenty more customs and practices that could be revived.